Research question

Summer is always a quiet time blog-wise--schedules are less, well, scheduled, we're out of the house more and right now I'm focusing on shooting and working on a new magazine and book. Speaking of which, I have a research question: what bits of consumerism ca. 1985 make you feel the most visceral sense of nostalgia (e.g. Rubik's cube, Ouija board, Brady Bunch reruns, E.T., etc.) Would love stories around the memories--one of mine is swimming all day at the local pool, coming home sunburned (in the olden times before copious SPF use) and showering with Gee, Your Hair Smells Terrific shampoo (remember that stuff?) followed by Tame conditioner. Afterwards I'd sit on the sunporch with my hot burned skin cooling under the ceiling fan and watch TV as it got dark out. I need to find a bottle of Tame (it's now discontinued) and have myself a madeleine moment (see Involuntary Memory).

Comments

Unknown said…
Often as a child, I would see mothers carrying their children wearing a large tan straw hat wearing a yellow and white "sun dress". Because when I think 80's, I think color, and how vivid each of the images were. Which in turns makes me pondering over the clothes of that era. The long sleeve sweaters and turtle necks. Corduroy, High Top Shoes (Spice Girls, anyone?), and the all too familiar Hair Styles, with endless arrays of bunches and curls all sitting perfectly atop the head like a statue to individualism. But I can only say what I remember as a child, as I ,myself, was born a child of the 90s.
Anonymous said…
Prell Shampoo, Super Sun-In, CD Longboxes.
Thanks for your comments--

Love the description of the hair as a "statue to individualism." It really was true.

I forgot about Prell, with its pearlescent green sheen...
judith said…
PLEASE let me know if you find any Gee, Your Hair Smells Terrific, or the original Herbal Essence Shampoo. I loved those brands.
Kate Wilhelm said…
Jelly shoes. Cabbage patch dolls.
Melissa said…
I loved my Jelly shoes. I can't bear the thought of putting my own kids in them however (Maybe because they are all boys?).
littlepurplecow said…
QT (QuickTan). It turned my skin orange, yet I continued to use it entirely too long.

Popular Posts